Sunday, January 11, 2015

So, You want to live "The Dream"

LIAN icon
What is the dream? The dream as it pertains to you.

We are familiar with proverbial "American" dream, and if this is the dream for you, than by all means own it. However, and this may be just as likely, if it is not your idea of "the dream," than I would love to know what that may look like for you.

A few evenings ago, I had this conversation with my younger sister, as we sat together on the couch. As I continue my introspective exploration - aka. my early mid-life crisis - I have allowed myself to become indulgent as to the different paths available to me. That entails looking at possibilities I never once considered. Not to say I haven't thought of them, but more because, and I think we all do this, I limited myself as to what I thought I could do.

So, that evening, I asked myself this question. I encourage you to do the same.

What is living "the dream" for you?

Because, truly, I've never really thought about it. Even as a child, I was the most practical 8 year old you would have ever met. No, idealistic, indulgent, trumped up ideas of living the life of a beautiful ballerina or pop star or [insert random childhood dream here] for me... no sir! I was very much aware that there were these things called "bills" looming over all adults heads, and were a consistent source of something called "stress," which did not look pleasant by any means. And, so being aware of this, my dreams involved going to college, getting a degree, getting a job that paid these "bills," and eventually marrying and having children. Not the most romantic or creative, I know, but mine nonetheless. In the end, I did achieve these goals - except for the marriage/children bit, which can be saved for a later date.

But I never got to play with the idea of, "What is your dream?"

Realizing this, I asked my sister what her "dream" would be. If we could set aside, money, stress, life concerns, bills, all the factors we consider that keeps us from the things we love doing, what would that dream be? Her answer: a career related to music.

Now, for the record, she is not a musician, however, she possesses one of the largest databases for all sorts of genres of music from across the globe. She is exceedingly knowledgeable on forms of music, songs and artists - both mainstream and under ground - and capable of articulating her opinions and critics on music, artists. and the culture in a sophisticated and intriguing manner. When she speaks on the topic, we - anyone around her - tends to listen. Furthermore, she has this crazy ability of being able to listen to a song and immediately pick up on other songs that were sampled for it, used in its mix, or are startling close to sounding exactly the same. She has an exceptional ear.

Does this not sound like a person meant for a career, a life, in music?

So, it led me to my next question. Why not work in music?

There was a pause. A moment of reflection, but ultimately no answer that could completely suffice.

I ask, in all honesty, why don't we simply live for "the dream?" Whatever it may look like. Why not simply live for it? Work towards it? Own it? Oh, what a world it would be, if we all simply live for the things we loved doing most in this world. I would give much to see what a world like that looked like.

So, I leave you with these questions, and I encourage you to share your answers: What is your dream? Have you followed it? Did you succeed? Did you fail? Has the dream changed over the years? Are you still searching for it?

There is a quote by Lupita N'yongo, that is extremely fitting, "No matter where you are from, your dreams are valid."


No comments:

Post a Comment